When Brett was young--probably in kindergarten or first grade, he had a boy in his class whose last name was Baum. Brett heard him telling kids that his grandpa had joked about naming him Adam, but that wouldn't have worked because then he would have been Adam Baum. (I know, tragic name for a cute little brunette kid, right?)
My brother came home that day and asked my mom, "What's an Adam Baum?"
My mom wondered how she should try to explain an atomic bomb to a five year old. I mean, what could she say other than, "It's a really big bomb that can kill a lot of people," that would even make sense to a five year old's brain? He couldn't understand bombs, let alone atoms and particles and the chemistry of it all. He knew what a bomb was, but what did that have to do with being named Adam? What's so bad about an Adam? What was an "Adam" anyway?
There was probably nothing she could have said that would have made sense to him to explain why this boy was named Donny and not Adam.
And so it is with us. There are so many questions in this life, so many whats and whys that we want answers to. But with our limited perspective, with our child-like vision, I think even were God to explain it to us, we wouldn't understand. So often, we don't get anything better in terms of answers than my brother got that day--a simple explanation that we might not be satisfied with, and a promise that someday, when we know more and are older, it will make more sense.
It's not that my mom didn't have answers or that her answers weren't real. They just weren't answers that a five year old was ready for.
I believe that God is a Being of perfect understanding and answers, that every why has an answer, and that He hears and does respond--at least in some form--to all the questions we have. I believe that He loves us and as soon as we are ready and can understand some of the answers, He will tell us.
I believe that God is a Being of perfect understanding and answers, that every why has an answer, and that He hears and does respond--at least in some form--to all the questions we have. I believe that He loves us and as soon as we are ready and can understand some of the answers, He will tell us.
And until then, line upon line, precept upon precept. Milk before meat.
So, I am working in my life not to become frustrated when I don't always get the answers I want or have enough of an answer or always understand the why. Maybe if God did explain it all to me right now, it wouldn't make sense. At least not yet. But someday....
Someday it will.

Oh my goodness, I love this one as much as the last one!!! You (and your parents, it seems) are awesome :)
ReplyDelete