Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Christmas Glow....or flame....

Last night we had a fantastic Christmas party.  We decorated sugar cookies, made snowflakes (someone knew how to cut angels and reindeer in hers!!!), had a yule log (on DVD, of course), and played games.  It was late by the time we got to bed, so we didn't clean up much.

I decided to clean up the apartment when I got home today.  As I vacuumed, I decided what I really needed was another cup of hot apple cider.  I put the tea kettle on (Thanks, Emily, for leaving it!) and continued vacuuming.  Suddenly, I head what sounded like a shot.  I glanced up at the kitchen where it had come from only to discover that a plate of sugar cookies near the burner had overheated and shattered and all the little snowmen and Santas and holly and bells were on fire.

I had immediate flashbacks to my last kitchen fire (Believe me, I haven't had one in at least a decade!).  Of course, I had been very ill-prepared the last time, so I thought about the special FHE I had inspired afterward.

Baking soda....Baking soda....I rushed to the cupboard.  No baking soda.  Other cupboard.  Hmm...Baking powder.  Was that a flame extinguisher too?  I decided not to risk it.  Finally!  I found it,  that beautiful orange box.  I dumped it on the plate of burning cookies.  Nothing....

Of course.  Of course, it would be the box with less that a teaspoon left.  Fridge!  I knew there were two boxes of baking soda in the fridge.  Oh....why didn't we clean out the fridge????  The flames were getting bigger and in desperation I thought, "Well, it's not technically a grease fire..." and dumped a mixing bowl full of water on the flames.

And we all lived happily, ever after.

4 comments:

  1. Poor little cookies!!! I'm glad it didn't spread! way to be a good firewoman!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh hahah you make me laugh! glad nothing too bad happened!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear! I thought by the time we both left on our missions I had trained you to not set on fire, not explode and not mold things in the kitchen :P Well, if it makes you feel better I had a slight mishap in the the kitchen about a month before I left provo... Someone left a greasy mess under the burner on the stove and I didn't notice when i started cooking potstickers. About halfway through cooking, flames shot out all around the pan and I didn't have any materials other than the fire extinguisher to put it out. remember me and baking don't mix well. I tried the lid but it was under the burner so oxygen still got in :( I put it out and then decided to continue making my dinner on a different burner and to my surprise it erupted in flames again. yes. I lit the stove on fire twice in one night. (hangs head) but my dinner was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon!!!! I just saw your comment. How funny. Okay, not really that funny for you, but wow. Twice in one night? I mean, we have talent! I can have things set themselves on fire and you can have multiple fires. We SHOULDN'T be a baking team. :) Hope you're doing well. We should talk soon.

    ReplyDelete