Friday, November 12, 2010

I'm Pretty Good At Setting People Up


I was reading a story during read-aloud today.  The boy and his father had gone to a new state and started a homestead.  The father had returned to get the rest of the family while the boy took care of the new home and crops.  The book then talked about how, when his family arrived, there would be a new member he didn't even know (His mom had had a baby since he'd been gone).

Me: I have a connection.  When I was in Chile, I came home and there was a new member of my family.  My brother had gotten married.

Girl: Did you know her?

Me: Yes, she was actually my roommate.

Other girl: Did your brother know that?!

Me: Oh, he knew!.......I kind of set them up.

Class: Wow!

Me: I'm pretty good at setting people up.

Boy: NO YOU'RE NOT!  You can't even set yourself up!

Other boy: Yeah, and that's the most important one of all.  You should work on that.

All I could do was put my face in the book and laugh.   Thank you.  Thank you for pointing that out so clearly....

6 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I seriously LOVE reading your funny stories from school. Don't you have another one to add to the books...Tyler and that girl you set him up with. That went well didn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too funny! Kids really don't edit what they say, do they? I am convinced that the reason you haven't been able to "set yourself up" yet is because the universe is having a hard time trying to find anyone who is worthy of you! You are awesome Melissa. Just hang in there and maybe someone else's matchmaking skills will be just the ticket one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another funny anecdote to add to the book you're writing, right?? Well, we're sure happy that you're good at setting people up :) I sure miss the days of funny stories from school-- never a dull moment, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. COL! That's chuckle out loud! I really did chuckle out loud. The kids are right, you need to set yourself up! I've got a guy in my ward from New Zeland with a very sexy accent...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhh, Melissa. That is too funny. I seriously love that story.

    And I feel good about Tyler's idea about the New Zealander...for obvious reasons. :)

    ReplyDelete