Weddings. We all LOVE weddings. And this summer was full of them. They started around April and haven't stopped yet. The fridge is covered in announcements. Weekends are planned around receptions. Talk is around rings and dresses and colors and...shoes.
This summer I was a bridesmaid. Twice. Which wouldn't be too bad except that I've already been one once. Most of you still have no idea where this is going. May I gently remind you that the saying is, "Three times a bridesmaid, never a bride." Exactly my concern. Nevertheless, I'm hoping the last two bouquets I've caught will counteract all bizarre superstitions. Because everyone knows the bouquet toss is pretty legit.
The first wedding required gold shoes. Now, I know you are thinking, "That's perfect! Everyone has a pair of gold shoes at the back of their closet," but somehow, I didn't. I know. Shocking. Which required going out and buying a pair. While there were some gold options out there this season, I didn't like any of them and you better believe I wasn't going to be shelling out twenty or thirty dollars for gold shoes.
My mother had the brilliant idea first. Spray paint. I know. BRILLIANT. And so, on one of my many trips home, I picked up a can of gold spray paint from her house and spray painted an old pair of black heels that were on their way to D.I. They were great. They were fabulous. They were perfect. Until it rained. Until they wanted foot pictures. Until someone asked where I had bought them because they didn't remember seeing those in the stores. I think when I'll get married, they'll all just wear black shoes. And no, I won't be providing spray paint.
 |
| Oh yeah, show me the gold! |
______
The second wedding was my roommate Emily Allen's. While there was no spray paint involved, there was a LOT of Crisco. Over four pounds, actually. And nine pounds of powdered sugar and four pounds of coconut. Because we decorated the car? No. We made the cake.
 |
| Yes, we used the WHOLE can...and then some. YUM! |
What friend would ever make her roommates make the cake?! Not Emily. Nope. We VOLUNTEERED. That's right, volunteered. It seems like the dumbest thing a person could do next to saying they'll make the wedding dress, but we what can I say? My whole life I've wanted to make a wedding cake. I put it on my bucket list when I was fifteen. And thanks to Emily Tuioti, I checked that bad boy off.
We worked on it when Emily was gone so when she saw it, it looked like we'd easily whipped it up. After all, who can't make a wedding cake? The truth is, it took at least seven trips to the grocery store. Five were all in one day. Our apartment was covered in coconut. My car is still covered in coconut. There was frosting on the table, the counters, the carpet, and us.
Nevertheless, I must say, it turned out pretty well. There was one cake to take pictures of and let the bride and groom feed each other (I was hoping for a little smashing in the face action, but was disappointed)..............
 |
| Krissy, starting the frosting |
 |
| Putting on the third layer. Love that coconut!!! |
 |
| Finished product. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
 |
| Thanks for letting us borrow your stuff, Lisa! |
The other cake was for all the guests to eat. Since some people don't like coconut, it got swirls instead.
 |
| Can you see the swirls? | |
| Now that it's all done and I am mostly recovered (don't ask how I slept less than the bride-to-be the night before the wedding), I have to say it was fun. It was good. They married good men and are happy. It's all good. But let me just warn you: the next time someone wants you to be part of a wedding, you may want to double check to make sure you've got your spray paint and Crisco. After all, you just never know what you'll be expected to do. But whatever it is, try to catch the bouquet--just for luck. |
|
|
|
|
When you said gold shoes I immediately thought of spray paint. I mean I spray painted my shoes green for St. Patrick's Day-we must be related!
ReplyDeletehaha, love it! Only you, Melis :)
ReplyDeleteMelissa, I was on facebook and ran across your blog and decided to check it out. I just wanted to say two things. 1. I love your posts! 2. Oops! I'm pretty sure just a couple days after you posted this, I asked you to be my bridesmaid. Don't worry, though, that saying is a complete myth and I guarantee you will get married! Although you didn't catch the bouquet at my wedding, you were right next to Kendra, so you should get some points for that. :)
ReplyDelete