I love my grandma.
I love the legacy that she left me. I love how she pretended she invented Oreos and how she snuck downstairs every afternoon with a Diet Pepsi and bag of microwave popcorn to watch General Hospital. I love that she could create anything she put her mind to and do it well. I love how she used to take me to yard sales during the summer. I love how she took us to plays and musical events. I love the parts of her that I see in me.
But, despite all that, there was at least one thing I was determined not to carry on when she passed away. After cleaning out her house room by room, closet by closet, drawer by drawer, and shelf by shelf, I vowed I would never hold on to anything I didn't really need ever again.
Cleaning out a house can change a person. Especially if said house was lived in by two people who both lived through the Great Depression. Even more especially if at least one of those people loved yard sales, clearance racks, and deals. (At least I can now say I come by it honestly, right?)
I was quite sure that the life-altering mission of cleaning out a person's house entirely (I mean, down to the carpet and walls) had changed my own
Upon returning home from my last trip cleaning out the house, I went on a giant purge of our one-bedroom basement apartment, organizing everything and giving things away to charity that--if I were to really be honest with myself--I knew deep down would never fit again.
(I convinced myself that if by some miraculous parasite or other disease/miracle they ever did fit again, they would be so out of style that it wouldn't matter anyway.)
Bottom line: I let a lot of things go.
I think it was the happiest week of Paul's life.
So, I felt relatively unconcerned when it came time to move. I mean, how much stuff could there be? (I feel like there should be some type of ominous mood music that should come on right about now.)
We decided to start early to avoid the typical last-minute crisis I usually find myself in upon moving. I got boxes. We started packing. We got online and rented a truck. Just to be safe, we chose U-Haul's "Two Bedroom Apartment" option--you know, just in case.
The day drew closer and the boxes piled up more and more. We got a call from U-Haul telling us that every single truck in that size had been taken and that we were going to have to go all the way to Santaquin to get a truck. But, because of the inconvenience, we would be upgraded to a truck for a small house.
![]() |
| I know, it's big. You don't have to tell me... |
Everything seemed to be coming together flawlessly. The boxes were packed. People were coming at 6:00 pm to help us load the truck, and we had an even larger truck than we'd planned, so there was no need to worry. All we had to do was get the truck and be home by 6:00. I would clean the apartment while everyone packed, and we would be on our way to the land of the Aggies.
I should have know it was too perfect. There should have been more foreboding. Something should have whispered, "It gets worse before it gets better." Because, oh…it got worse.
As we left to get the truck, Paul asked which car we should take to get it. I said that we should take his, because it was the one we would be hooking up to the back of the U-Haul. We could drive his car down together, hook it up to the moving truck, and he could drive us back to our apartment. We rode down to Santaquin, speculating about the move, talking about the nostalgia we were feeling, and wondering about the next chapter in our lives.
We arrived at the U-Haul place and not more than a few minutes later were ready to go.
"You don't have to, like, learn how to drive these?" I whispered to Paul. "I mean, this thing is a beast. You could kill someone with this."
"I guess not," he whispered back.
![]() |
| I feel like I should have had one of these. Except it probably shouldn't have said "John." |
I think we all know who the hazard was.
"Which one do you want to drive?" Paul asked me.
"I'll take the truck," I said. "It's just to Provo, and then we can hook up your car and you can drive home."
And just like that, I was behind the wheel of an enormous vehicle designed to carry an entire small house.
I felt like I was driving a school bus. I held my breath every time I changed lanes, praying I hadn't ended the life of some poor person on a motorcycle who had snuck into my blind spot. As my sweaty palms gripped the steering wheel and sweat began to bead on my forehead, I looked probably looked like my fourteen-year-old self trying to think of something clever to say to my crush, who had just asked me to dance.
I reminded myself if would all be over in just a few miles.
I still wish it had been.
We pulled into the Provo U-Haul, signed the paperwork, and got the car dolly hooked to the moving truck. However, for some reason (that I can't remember now) we didn't end up hooking up Paul's car. I think it was because he was going to need to unhook it as soon as we got home so that we could load the back of the moving truck and that just seemed like extra work to all of us.
I toyed with the idea of driving Paul's car home rather than the truck (which, of course, now had a car dolly attached), but considering I had killed his car at least 7 times in the U-Haul parking lot while trying to move it (oh the shame!), my pride relegated me back to the driver's seat of the U-Haul with my heart beating even more rapidly than before.
I mentally went through the route, trying to find as few turns as possible, unsure how wide my turns would be. (Can't you just see those "Wide Turn" signs they plaster all over the back of semis which show them turning and taking out three other cars?)
I chose a route home, knowing I would only need to make two main turns--one out of the U-Haul place, and one left-turn onto State Street. From there, I would slowly take State Street's right lane all the way home.
Had that worked, we would have driven home, packed, and moved with both our marriage and our sanity still intact.
Of course, that would have required me realizing that there were not two turn lanes. By the time I realized that, it was too late. I was already in the lane going straight. The light turned green, and I headed down the wrong road, desperate to find a place to turn around. I pulled into a neighborhood, thinking I would just--you know--flip around, head back to State Street, and continue with my original plan.
Have you ever tried turning a U-Haul with a car dolly completely around? Well, if not, let me tell you a little secret--it's not quite the same as driving a car. While back up, my concentration was jolted as I heard a frantic honking and saw Paul right behind me. I put the truck into park and jumped out into the middle of the street yelling, "What?!"
"You're about to break the hitch off!" he said.
And that was the moment when the stress and the worry and the anxiety and the massive truck got to me.
And I snapped.
"Fine--You drive it!" I said. I threw the keys at him in front of at least three cars who were now blocked by my running U-Haul parked diagonally in the middle of the road.
I understand it was not my best move.
You don't have to tell a crazy person they're crazy.
I think irrational people know they're irrational.
But when you snap, you snap.
So, Paul carefully got the truck out of the precarious situation I had put it in and began driving. Which left me alone with his little, Dodge Neon stick shift.
But, not to panic. I know how to drive stick shift.
Sort of.
On one vehicle.
That I drove a few times when I was 16.
Which, unfortunately, turned out to be a volatile combination for a person during rush hour traffic in Utah County.
I killed it…and killed it….and killed it again.
Every alternate route I tried to take only led to bigger roads and multi-laned intersections. Despite my frantic prayers, I hit nearly every light red. And I killed it about 14 times every time it turned green. Every turn felt like a left turn.
I have never seen so many people yell, wave, or honk.
I could have set a record.
Maybe I did set a record.
![]() |
| Yes, Google Images. It was kind of like this. http://ericpetersautos.com/2013/12/18/americans-dont-drive-2/angry-driver/ |
It was so bad someone behind me turned their hazard light on (I couldn't find Paul's) while still managing to simultaneously yell at me. I could read her lips in the rear view mirror.
Backed by a throng of angry drivers, I lurched all the way to Orem where I finally pulled into a church parking lot and yelled into my phone at Paul, "Come….Get….Me…."
In the end, I was the one who drove the U-Haul home after all.
6:00 came, but no one showed up.
7:00 came, and still no one.
My saintly aunt and uncle came and began to work.
Finally, some men showed up. I came out and things looked packed. I came back and the van was nearly empty. I came out an hour later--repacked. Thirty minutes after that, they were unpacking again.
Apparently, despite my adamant declarations that I was NOT a hoarder (I only kept things I needed), I had somehow accumulated what U-Haul considered to be more than a house worth of stuff. And so, the game of "Montoya Furniture Tetras" continued until after 11:00 pm, lit by the headlights of cars, shining into the jam-packed truck. Bless all those men, who most definitely cursed me. They even packed our mattress. As I lay on the bare carpet that night, I was too tired to even complain.
I would love to say that the next morning we closed the door to our first apartment and drove blissfully off into our future, but...we didn't. Paul drove away and I stayed behind, waiting for my parents to rescue us by bringing their truck to take one last load.
The rest we gave to D.I.
I have now had four months to reflect on how two newlyweds can have that much stuff--all of which (at least at the time) was deemed "necessary."
1. U-Haul is not founded by someone LDS who believes in food storage or by someone who at least believes in being prepared for the end of the world via zombie apocalypse. It obviously wasn't founded by anyone whose in-laws kindly gave them about twenty #10 cans of food storage and 50 pounds of wheat. And I'd be willing to bet that the founder doesn't have two 50 gallon water drums. Or 5 cans of powdered butter.
Let me say one thing: When the world ends, I will be here, sprinkling powdered butter on my wheat and thinking of you. Then we'll talk about "necessary."
![]() |
| Yes, I have over 1,000 servings of powdered butter. |
2. U-Haul has never met a teacher who is moving her classroom. Especially a classroom with a theme. Charlie, the three-foot tall mascot/class pet had to come. The bookshelves had to come. The giant stars and lasso? They had to come. The books, the chair, the files, the filing cabinet? It was sort of a BYOB type classroom (Bring Your Own Bookshelves, that is.)
Really, it was for the children. Remember my motto?
Anything for the children….
![]() |
| Stars? Mailboxes? Organizers? Oh, it all had to go! |
![]() |
| Of COURSE the books came. And the bins. |
![]() |
| Yeah, I even had to bring a filing cabinet! |
In fact, the little boy who lived by us said to me one day in a puzzled voice as I was bringing a coffee table home, "Wait…Aren't you supposed to be taking things out of your apartment when you move, not bringing more things in?"
Ha! That's what you'd like to think, isn't it?
Well, I only have one thing to say to that. When I saw the look on my sister' face, it was worth it. Totally.
![]() |
| "Everything but the kitchen sink?" Close. More like, "Everything but the couches." |
4. U-Haul doesn't realize that Facebook now has yard sale pages. Or that some people are genetically predisposed to love a great deal. Or to stock up on things that they will need.
Maybe.
Someday.
![]() |
| My co-worker wanted to buy me a bumper sticker that said, "I brake for yard sales!" |
So, the good news is that we made it.
We are here.
It all fit just fine.
And we love it.
Charlie the horse loves it too. Somehow, I knew he would.
![]() |
| Look how happy he is! The kids LOVE him! |















No comments:
Post a Comment