Monday, August 27, 2012

Mawwige is what bwings us togevah today

My new class is great.  They seem to be fairly well behaved--although it is still the first week and the newness of everything is probably still on my side.  Unlike other classes, they seem to be able to read longer, work more quietly, and fall into routines faster.  YAY!

It always takes awhile at the beginning of the year to start figuring out the personality of each class.  A few years ago, my students were really, really funny and joked all the time (which was only good some of the time), but the next year they were so innocent and oblivious, I had to explain all jokes to them, which took out all the fun.

Some classes have cared whether or not I have a social life and some seem oblivious to the fact that I don't live at school (What?!  Teachers have a life???).  Some become obsessed partway through the year with trying to find me a boyfriend or get me married off.  Some just hope I never get married and stay an old, single teacher forever.

While some classes have been very intrigued to know about my social life, I've never had a class start in on me the first week of school the way they have this year.  Here are some gems from Week 1:

"I want Miss Waite to marry a smart, handsome boy who is her age, her height, and really loving to people.  If there were a guy like that, Miss Waite would totally marry him."
-Journal entry of a girl in my class

"Maybe Miss Waite should stop going to receptions and get married herself.  Like, seriously."
-Journal entry of a boy in my class who knew I would be attending two wedding receptions in one weekend.

"You should marry someone really smart and really handsome who does his chores."
-Girl in my class

Ella: Miss Waite, how old are you?
Me: Twenty-seven
Ella: Twenty-seven?!!!  You need to get married!
Me: Um...yes....
Other girl in class: Do you at least have a boyfriend?!
Me: (long pause as I consider the consequences of any response I may give) Yes...
Other girl in class: Oh good!  Will you please marry him this year and then invite me to the wedding?  I mean, not the temple part, but all the rest?!
Me:  Uh...wouldn't that be fun?  Oh look!  I think the lunch line is moving!

It just makes me laugh.  I mean, if you are as OLD as I am (Twenty-SEVEN?!), you should probably have or be looking for a nice, short, equally-old boy who does his chores (that's always a good thing!), is nice to other people, and wants a bunch of fourth graders at his wedding.  At least now I know what I'm looking for.  What a relief!  :)


3 comments:

  1. I love this. Kids are so funny!! And you are a great teacher--I just know it :) Happy first day of school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, Miss Waite... will you please just stop all the singlehood shenanigans and get married already?! Please and thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love student comments, they always keep me laughing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete