Saturday, October 10, 2009

Solo--Yes, that means alone

Here's how student teaching works. It's kind of like quitting smoking. Little by little you have to move out of your comfort zone and do what feels--some days--a little bit impossible.

You start out pretty comfortable--you sit around observing some expert teacher most of the day and do the important things when needed...things like...give the spelling pre-test or do the read-aloud or walk them to P.E. (Shocking they even let people like me do such important tasks!)

Before long, you're teaching lessons--an after lunch attempt at teaching rounding to the nearest ten or hundred. And then they begin to wean you from you security. No more let someone else just teach all the hard things or take over when they're out of control. No sir. Day by day you find yourself doing more and more until, before you know it, it's the big "solo" word.

All that means is that they pay the teacher to not walk in the classroom between the hours of 9 and 3:15 for two or three weeks. More or less. There are a lot of perks. I mean, no one's watching when you suddenly realize you didn't really print off those worksheets for writing. You just thought you did, so then you tell the kids they're all going to have to do it on a blank piece of paper instead as a "quiz." Ha! And if you need to go have a little one-on-one chat with a kid, it's just you and the kid.

I just finished my first week of "soloing." (What do you call that? "Flying solo?" "Teaching alone?" "Madness?") After surviving the week, I learned two things. 1) What I love 2) What I hate.

1) I LOVE the kids! They are so cute and so funny and every day is just one more reason to be glad I picked my profession. Who else will tell you you're their favorite teacher ever because you do your hair every day? (If that's not a good measure of success, I don't know what is!) I love people who help out. I love collaboration. I love sharing with other teachers. And the fact that kids will be good for two weeks for a single gumball!

2) Ahhh! Grading papers. Planning for every single detail. Trying to plan for the fifty seven unexpected things. How did I know two kids would cut themselves open making a contraction?
Or that I wouldn't be able to remember who was absent the day of the firedrill? Or that you have to remember when moms are coming in to volunteer....

Funny things from this past week.

Little boy's letter the the Search and Rescue:
"Dear Search and Rescue,
I think you do a great job. I would have stomach problems if I did your job. I think you know what I mean."

Little girl's letter to a fairy tale character:
"Dear Sleeping Beauty,
Do you want to come to my house for a party? I'm going to make cupcakes and each one is going to have a four diamond carrot in it."

Little boy during pizza party:
"Bully for pizza? Yeah...I'd do that."
"You better tell your mom to look out if you're having pizza. I'm coming over!!!"

Letter from a little girl to me:
"Dear Miss Waite,
You're the best.....I have a secret hidden talent. I sing and make up songs." (Yes, I definitely see how that relates to me being the best...)

Little girl on the playground:
Me: Maybe next year I'll teach fourth grade. Then I could be your teacher.
Girl: Uh...yeah. But....um....I don't think you'd be very...experienced.

I may be crazy, trying to teach full-time right now and work and attempt sleep, exercise, and a social life, but at least it makes me laugh. And sometimes laughter's the best medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment